This position is a rare opportunity to become a member of the Viacom Law Department, one of the “Best Legal Departments” as recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine in 2016. In this position, you will join a team of attorneys managing together with outside counsel Viacom’s litigations, responding to pre-litigation demands and claims, asserting Viacom’s rights through cease and desist demands to those infringing on Viacom’s vast portfolio of intellectual property, and providing advice to clients on litigation avoidance across the Viacom Media Networks suite of brands. Viacom is a company with a culture of collaboration, and the law department embraces that culture. We are looking for a team-oriented collaborator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage litigations handled by outside counsel and under general supervision of Vice-President, Litigation/Intellectual Property, including by providing strategic assessment, editing pleadings and briefs, coordinating with internal business teams, and reporting on status to internal executives
- Supervise outside counsel in connection with litigations, including managing budgets, staffing, and case management
- Handle pre-litigation matters including research and drafting responses to claim letters, responding to subpoenas, negotiating with adversaries, and providing advice to Viacom business clients on pre-litigation issues and litigation avoidance
- Provide regular reports including in connection with litigation docket, budget reports, and data tracking
- Assist in other disciplines within the department including litigation and intellectual property advice on transactions and trademark clearance