Job Title: Senior Counsel, Litigation
Department: U.S. Programs
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, D.C. and a diverse staff of more than 150 professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $29 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory. The Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its current and next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought ground-breaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, has led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to https://www.reproductiverights.org/
The Senior Counsel, Litigation will report directly and serve as a thought partner to the Senior Director, Litigation and will assist in managing the Center’s U.S. litigation strategy as well as serve as a mentor and strategic leader on the litigation team. In addition, the Senior Counsel will directly participate in impact litigation on reproductive rights and justice issues in federal and state courts around the country. The Center’s high-profile and fast-paced litigation often involves novel legal claims, and our groundbreaking cases have changed the law and improved the lives of women throughout the U.S.
This position will be based in either New York City or Washington, D.C.
- Serve as a mentor, collaborator and thought-leader in the Center’s U.S. Litigation Program to ensure successful execution of the Strategic Plan, as well as implementation of wider institutional priorities, and to shape new strategies as opportunities and challenges arise.
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Litigation and in collaboration with other senior litigation and US program staff to provide leadership and direction in the planning, development and implementation of strategic and annual planning, including by effectively supporting the development of long-term, mid-term, and annual plans and aligning the US litigation program behind core goals and strategies.
- Support the Senior Director, Litigation to ensure that key litigation program outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum impact.
- Support the Senior Director, Litigation in forming and managing teams assigned to specific projects and cases to leverage strategic opportunities and maximize efficiencies and professional development opportunities.
- Lead, supervise and engage (as needed) in all stages of litigation (including leading/conducting investigations, securing clients, case development, trial and appellate work), particularly as supervising attorney, as lead on complex cases, and as Center attorney on cases in which pro bono firm takes lead;
- Identify and cultivate new Center clients; develop and maintain client relationships; and engage in client compliance work.
- Maintain and develop relationships with key partners.
- Assist and mentor other department attorneys in development of new cases (e.g., working up claims, preparing initial filings, case budgeting).
- Supervise, mentor and coach litigation team members (from senior staff attorneys to legal assistants), identifying skills gaps and addressing professional development needs.
- Coordinate with Center’s state and federal advocacy teams on legislative work as-needed.
- Undertaking special projects as requested by the Senior Director, Litigation or the SVP, US Programs.
- Represent the Center externally, including with partners, donors, media, academic and professional audiences.
- Work closely with the Director of Pro Bono to cultivate and leverage new and existing pro bono partnerships and projects with law firms, law associations, and law schools to leverage the Center’s litigation program.
- Lead with and help to create an environment and culture that fosters constructive problem-solving, good communication, flexibility, and a “can do/will do” attitude, with honesty, respect, and good humor.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references must be included in your application to be considered for this role. It is encouraged to include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for Applications: Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.