If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
The Office of General Counsel's (OGC) Deputy General Counsel for Operations serves as a senior legal adviser to the General Counsel, who is the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Chief Law Officer.
Specific duties include:
- Providing legal services to EPA officials and their staffs on EPA programs and activities.
- Providing legal opinions and legal counsel.
- Assisting in the formulation and administration of EPA's policies and programs.
- Serving as the Senior Resource Officer for OGC.
- Supervising OGC's Senior Executive Service Office Directors and Associates with non-environmental portfolios or those media offices specifically assigned.
- Providing resource oversight of OGC’s law offices.
- Serving as the backup for the Deputy General Counsel for Environmental Media and Regional Law Offices.
- Furnishing legal advice to top and middle-management officials and other staff at EPA.
- Managing OGC in consultation with the Principal Deputy General Counsel and General Counsel, as appropriate.
- Participating in developing EPA's legal policies and resolving any conflicts that may arise in the application of those policies.
- Providing legal advice to other governmental agencies interested in or affected by EPA programs and on matters involving coordination between EPA and other federal departments and agencies.
You must submit resume and required documents (see How to Apply section).
If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
You may be required to travel 1 to 5 days per month.
If you are selected, you must complete a 1-year SES probationary period, if not previously completed.
The Ethics in Government Act, P.L. 95-521, requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a financial disclosure statement, OGE-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment.
This position is designated as High Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
Telecommuting is allowed.
About U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
The Office of General Counsel (OGC) is the chief legal advisor and counselor to EPA, the federal agency with primary responsibility for implementing the nation’s environmental laws. OGC employees provide legal and other counsel to EPA policy-makers, thus providing critical input to rules, regulations, and guidance documents that are promulgated and issued to implement the Agency’s statutory obligations.