The reference librarian serves as a member of the Law Library’s reference team and is responsible for providing excellent and responsive research and reference services in all areas of law (including American, international, and foreign law) as well as in non-law disciplines to faculty, students, and other library users.
Position Specific Responsibilities:
1. Provide reference service through 1) regular shifts at the reference desk, 2) responding to email and telephone reference inquiries, and 3) individual research consultations. Some evening hours are required.
2. Provide in-depth research service to faculty members.
3. Participate fully in the reference team’s extensive teaching program, including first year legal research, advanced legal research, specialty research courses, and guest lectures. Some teaching may be as an adjunct professor.
4. Develop programs and services necessary to meet the needs of the law school’s academic programs, including the LL.M., J.S.D. and M.L.S. programs.
5. Prepare research guides, webpages, and other instructional materials.
6. Provide instruction to members of the Law School’s law reviews, clinics, and moot courts.
7. Participate in collection development, evaluation, and management.
8. Participate in student outreach activities, including library tours.
9. Participate in professional and continuing education activities of local and national professional associations.
10. Actively participate on Library and Law School committees as requested.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum of two years relevant experience in academic law libraries providing research and relevant library services to law school faculty and students.
Typically a J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited school and M.L.I.S. degree (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited school. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills and abilities needed to keep abreast of changes related to law librarianship.
Internal Number: 0180416
About Loyola Law School
LMU is a unique and rewarding place to work. As you consider your employment opportunities with our institution, we encourage you to take the time to learn about the university community and how it distinguishes us from other places of employment. We are proud of the programs, benefits and services we provide our community. We strive to ensure an inclusive environment in all aspects of campus life that fosters a strong sense of trust and mutual respect.