Assistant Professor of Practice, Department of Political Science
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Type: Full Time
The Department of Political Science at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Practice position to begin August 2023. We seek a dynamic, creative teacher who will teach courses in the area of U.S. courts and law and who will help support our pre-law students and programming. The Assistant Professor of Practice position is a non-tenure line, multiyear renewable position, with the possibility of promotion to Associate and then Full Professor of Practice. Initial appointment is customarily for three years. More information on the details of a Professor of Practice position may be found at https://cas.unl.edu/professors-practice-guidelines.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position with at least 80% assigned to teaching/instruction and the remaining 20% allotted to research and service. The 80% teaching apportionment represents 8 courses per year (although the course load may be decreased in proportion to other equivalent teaching duties, such as major curricular development, program building, and advising). This position is designed for individuals seeking a teaching-focused career who prioritize excellent pedagogy and undergraduate mentoring. The successful candidate must demonstrate potential for effective teaching in the area of US courts and law. A limited research appointment is available for those interested in conducting research in the area of US courts/laws. We expect all faculty to contribute to an environment in which every person and every interaction matters.
A Ph.D. or other terminal degree in political science or a related field, or evidence the degree will be completed by August 2023 is required. The successful candidate must show evidence of teaching experience and excellence and have a strong interest in teaching US courts/law. Preference will be given to candidates with evidence of interest in the scholarship of teaching; a research agenda focused on some aspect of US courts/law, including pedagogical research; and experience teaching in-person and online undergraduate courses. Salary, start-up package, and fringe benefits are competitive.
Review of applications will begin October 24, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. To be considered for the position, please go to https://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_220136. Click “apply for this job” and complete the information form. Attach a letter of intent, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests/experience, a short teaching statement, and three letters of recommendation. The statements will need to be combined into a single document for upload.
As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. See https://www.unl.edu/equity/notice-nondiscrimination.