Under the direct supervision of the Eviction Protection Program Director, the staff attorney is responsible for working with clients facing eviction to address their legal needs. The staff attorney is part of a multi-disciplinary team and is responsible for implementing and coordinating the legal activities for clients served through the Eviction Protection Program.
The staff attorney is funded in whole by HUD through One80 Place’s EPP Program. The EPP staff attorney will dedicate 100% of their time to clients served through the EPP program.
One80 Place ends and prevents homelessness throughout South Carolina with offices located in Charleston and Columbia. This position is located in Columbia, SC.
1. Advise clients concerning general legal issues, landlord/tenant issues, evictions and other legal rights or obligations.
2. Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals.
3. Analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of the law and legal precedents.
4. Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases.
5. Gather information and evidence through client interviews and document reviews to initiate appropriate legal action.
6. Represent clients in court or before government agencies.
7. Prepare and draft pleadings, motions, briefs, and other legal documents.
8. Confer with colleagues with specialties in appropriate areas of a legal issue to establish and verify bases for legal proceedings.
9. Study Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, and ordinances of quasi-judicial bodies to determine ramifications for cases.
10. Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law.
11. Enforces clients’ rights to privacy and confidentiality.
12. Other projects and duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL, ENVIRONMENTAL AND SENSORY DEMANDS:
1. Sound mental reasoning.
2. Excellent organizational and time management abilities.
3. Superior communication skills, verbal and written.
4. Ability to relate effectively to diverse individuals.
5. Corrective vision and hearing to normal range.
6. Ability to move between service locations.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Legal Services Director
1. Juris Doctor Law Degree and license to practice law with the SC Bar required.
2. Commitment to work in the field of public interest law.
3. Experience in a legal setting.
4. Understanding of and ability to put into practice the concept of holistic advocacy.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Working knowledge of mental health behaviors, diagnoses, and medications.
7. Excellent computer skills including basic office programs and the ability to learn and utilize appropriate database programs.
8. Ability to work independently and as a part of a multi-disciplinary team.
9. Ability to relate effectively and without judgment to diverse individuals.
One80 Place ends and prevents homelessness throughout 20 counties in South Carolina. Everything we do is grounded in the core belief that everyone deserves a home. We meet the immediate needs of those facing homelessness with the ultimate goal of permanent housing. Our Organization provides counseling and case management, legal services, employment services, clinic services, eviction prevention, and housing assistance.
We started in 1984 when community leaders came together to start a shelter to help the growing number of people who were homeless. 37 years later, what started as a small effort to address an emergency need in the Charleston community, grew to be the largest provider of homelessness services in South Carolina. While we are bigger than we used to be, we are a team of 100+ employees that are regionally focused, and cater to our clients one person at a time, one family at a time. We have offices in Columbia, Charleston, and North Charleston.
We are a passionate team working to promote diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization and beyond. We are 57% BIPOC and 43% Caucasian; 16% Baby Boomers, 40% Generation X, 38% Millennials and 6% Generation Z; Wom...en-Led Organization; 10% of our co-workers are Veterans. Our average tenure is over 5 years (our longest serving employee has been here over 28 years and our newest employee could be YOU). Half of our staff has lived experiences and often use those experiences to connect on a deeper level with our clients.